Candidate website: None
Other online links: None
University of Michigan, May 1984; Doctor of Juridicial Science
Licenses and certifications held:
Texas State Bar: 00936400; November 8, 1985
120th District Court.
- On March 23, 2003 Luis Aguilar berated Assistant District Attorney Laura Franco Gregory in court.
- On December 17, 2003 Luis Aguilar issues a controversial Stay of Grand Jury ordering District Attorney Jaime Esparza not present the case against El Paso Police Department Officers Jose Garcia and Alberto Machorro. The two officers were involved in the 2004 Nancy Hollebeke Court of Inquiry.
- On January 7, 2004 at about 1:30 in the afternoon El Paso Police Municipal Police Association President Chris McGill met with Luis Aguilar behind closed doors. Shortly after this meeting Aguilar cancelled the hearing previously scheduled to address the Stay he issued on December 17, 2003. The two officers were no-billed by the Grand Jury investigating them shortly after this.
- On December 10, 2004 the Texas State Commission on Judicial Conduct issued a Public Reprimand against Luis Aguilar for using terms such as “hot tamale”, “fat pig” and other derogatory terms and gestures of a sexual nature against women including Jo Ann Levison and Laura Franco Gregory.
- On October 19, 2012, the El Paso Times endorsed Luis Aguilar for the 243rd District Court. “In his previous stint on the bench, Luis Aguilar was loud and sometimes crass”, wrote the newspaper editorial board.
I am not aware of any public position taken by this candidate in regards to the ballpark.
There is currently no known direct nexus to identified public corruption subjects. As an attorney, Luis Aguilar represented Arturo “Tury” Duran in 2007 when Duran was implicated in the public corruption scandal. Aguilar also represented former representative Gilbert Serna (D) in a public corruption probe by the FBI in 1998.
The office this candidate is running for does not impact the tax base directly. I am not aware of a position taken by this candidate in regards to taxes.
Alyssa G. Perez (D)
Published: January 14, 2013
Last update: January 13, 2014
Notes on the compilation of the candidate’s dossiers. The information that I use to compile the candidate’s dossier is derived from my personal collection of notes and information that I have compiled in addition to information from their campaign materials and news media. I also consulted the court dockets for any information on the candidate. The issues and topics I include here are also derived from your suggestions and comments but ultimately are chosen by me. In addition, the list of candidates that I have selected for dossiers is derived from your comments, suggestions and my personal interest in the candidate. These dossiers should not be construed as an endorsement or condemnation of the candidate. They are intended as informational sources only. If I receive new additional information on the candidate, I will update the dossier as needed. Please use “last update” for reference.