As readers may be aware, the House is scheduled to vote on the next phase of the impeachment inquiry today. Contrary to the Donald Trump spin, today’s vote formalizes the next steps in the inquiry. Readers can download the proposed House resolution at the end of this post.
For those wanting a quick synopsis of the facts just need to watch the 30 second explainer video:
The following are the takeaways of the proposed resolution without all the spin:
1. The following House committees will continue to “investigate whether sufficient grounds exist for the House of Representatives to impeach Donald Trump:
- Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
- Committees on Financial Services
- Foreign Services
- Judiciary, Oversight and Reform, and
- Ways and Means
2. The Chair of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence will start open hearings as the next phase of the inquiry.
3. Public hearings will be limited to a maximum of 90 minutes.
4. Democrat and Republicans members will have equal time to question witnesses.
5. The Republicans may request that witnesses be called provided the Chair agrees to the request.
6. Should the Chair deny the witness request, the Republicans may request that the full committee vote to accept a witness that was declined by the Chair.
7. Subpoenas and interrogatories will be issued.
8. The Chair is authorized to release testimony to the public.
9. The Select Committee will issue its findings to the Committee on the Judiciary.
10. The Select Committee will also publish its findings to the public.
11. The Committee on the Judiciary will set the rules and procedures for the investigation to include the participation by Donald Trump or his legal representatives during the Judiciary inquiry.
12. The Committee on the Judiciary will investigate, and if appropriate issue “resolutions, articles of impeachment, or other recommendations” to the House of Representatives.
Download the proposed resolution by clicking here.